Monday, January 21, 2013

My first day under points in a week!

Adjusting to EntulĂ­nea / Weight Watchers has been more difficult than I imagined! When I followed Weight Watchers in the US, it seemed like it was so easy to meal plan for the day and stick to my plans because I wasn't very hungry and there were a ton of foods for which I already knew the PP value! In Spain, it's a bit more difficult because the cuisine is different and I am not entirely used to what is "healthy" and what's not.

All of last week, I was over my Points Plus daily target of 31 and I used almost all of my weekly allowance. In the US, I almost never used my weekly allowance unless I was eating at a special occasion.

Instead of being discouraged, I tried to listen to my body and eat when I was hungry. I tried to make smart choices (like packing a salad with greens, tomato, onion, surimi and cheese to eat while watching the soccer game with Jorge's family instead of gorging myself on the chorizo, cheese, bread and chocolate con churros that is standard fare for game day) and I started to look at my first few weeks on the plan as a learning experience.

After all, isn't Weight Watchers - or any healthy lifestyle - all about teaching you what's good for your body and what isn't?

Today, I finally had a great day on plan, clocking in at 29 points after finishing dinner and dessert. And by the way, the dessert consisted of 2 chocolate cookie sandwiches for 3PP. Delicious.

These are great cookies to crunch your craving, made with lots of fiber and no added sugars. Tonight, I enjoyed the ones in the top picture, chocolate sandwich cookies for 2PP per cookie, or 2 for 3PP.
Not surprisingly, one of the reasons that I came in under points was because of veggies. I ate a big salad at lunch and then had a small side of pasta with tomato and an egg. For dinner, I adapted an EntulĂ­nea recipe for my tastes and it was super filling and very low points.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell us that veggies are our friends on any weight loss plan. We are all familiar with (for better or worse) the famous "zero point soup" that helps get us through those first few hard weeks of Weight Watchers. My sister calls it the "kitchen sink soup," but sometimes soup leaves me wanting. Tonight, I preferred to eat a hearty dish that was low points and didn't include green salad. The plate I came up with would be perfect for a hot summer day, too!


"Everything But the Kitchen Sink" Salad
Serves: 1

Ingredients:
  • 120g canned beans of your choice (I used white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
  • 100g canned green beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 small tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/4 small red onion, finely diced
  • 1/2 garlic clove, finely diced
  • 2 tablespoons shredded carrot
  • 1 egg, hard boiled and sliced
  • optional: 3 sticks of surimi, or crab sticks (you can substitute this with 1 can tuna packed in water if you don't like crab sticks, drained)
  • 1 teaspoon oil (I used extra virgin, but use whatever you have on hand
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • salt to taste
First, boil your egg and rinse with cold water. Set aside to cool while you mix all of the ingredients except the oil, lemon juice and salt. Toss with oil, lemon juice and salt. Slice the egg and put on top. Enjoy!

This hearty salad has 7PP (2 for the egg, 3 for the beans, 1 for the crab [or tuna] and 1 for the oil). Trust me, you will feel like you've eaten a big meal, and it won't include a green salad! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with all of us!